Search This Blog

Monday, October 13, 2014

A Bm'ei ha'daga Production: haunting portraits of the homeless


Music by 8th Day - "Beggar Woman"

Today, she was sitting on the street
Sorrow in her eyes, a tin can at her feet
Holes in her stockings and holes in her shoes
She’s an old beggar woman no stranger to bad news

So I reached in my pocket to give a bill or two
In my heart I was trying to see what I could do
She thanked me for the money, I turned to walk away
But I waited for a moment as she began to say

(Chorus:)
G-d loves the widow and the orphan and the blind 
The old and the needy who haven’t got a dime 
G-d loves the sickly in his eyes we’re all the same 
And G-d he loves you too in the sunshine and the rain. (You just call upon His name)

I don’t know where she came from, don’t know her at all
But the wrinkles on her face, they kinda tell it all 
So reach in your pocket and give a bill or two 
And you can thank G-d in Heaven that the beggar isn’t you.

No comments: