Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Magical Moments of Mesorah IV: Rav Kook and the Nazir

“After taking a mikveh in the Rhine River, carrying a volume ‘Shaarei Kedusha-Gates of Holiness’ (by Chayim Vital), full of uncertainty and expectation, I made my way to the Rav on Erev Rosh Chodesh Elul -5675-1915. I found him engaged in halachic/legal studies with his son. We spoke about Greek wisdom and its literature; which did not satisfy one who knew the sources in their origins.  I stayed to sleep in their home. My heart could not rest at night. My life’s destiny was hanging in the balance. I awoke in the morning and I heard the sound of footsteps back and forth. I approached  the room from whence the footsteps came. It was the Rav praying the morning blessings, the tefilla/prayer of Akeidat Yitzchak in a sublime supernal melody.“From the eternal high heavens, and it reminded us of the love our ancestors.” I listened and I was transformed and became another person. I quickly wrote in a lettethat I had found more than I had hoped for. I found for myself a Rav.”
Rav Dovid Cohen, Introduction to Orot HaKodesh

הרב הנזיר זצל

No comments: